Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sixteen Days...



Namaste Everyone!

I can’t really help but think how fast time has passed by. It seems like yesterday I turned in my application, got interviewed and anxiously awaited my fate. Turns out I was one of the lucky ten to be picked for India, and 8 months later here I am now, in my room, having just finished my last day of classes, taking a break from studying for finals, and there’s 16 days until we leave for India. WOW! I still can’t believe that my freshman year at St. Mikes has already finished, but I also can’t wrap my head around the fact that in about two weeks I will be on a plane on my way to Kolkata. 

As with any other service trip, planning for this trip has taken a lot of time and preparation. The group has been meeting every two weeks since our first meeting in the fall semester, to discuss important aspects of Indian culture, to get to know each other better, and to plan all the fundraisers. After having had the opportunity to work with my peers through fundraisers and other activities, I couldn’t be happier to get to experience such a wonderful adventure with this amazing group. Because of our diversity, we compliment each other as a group. We haven’t even landed in India and we are already so close. I can’t imagine how much closer we’ll be when we return from this trip. 

Of course, all our accomplishments couldn’t be possible without the help of Allison, Alicia and Meghan, our group leaders. They have also been a vital part of our group, they have worked so hard to make our fundraisers happen and because of that, I thank them immensely. 


As I wrap this up, I will leave you guys with one of my all time favorite quotes from Mother Teresa. It reads: 


“Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
Life is beauty, admire it.
Life is a dream, realize it.
Life is a challenge, meet it.
Life is a duty, complete it.
Life is a game, play it.
Life is a promise, fulfill it.
Life is sorrow, overcome it.
Life is a song, sing it.
Life is a struggle, accept it.
Life is a tragedy, confront it.
Life is an adventure, dare it.
Life is luck, make it.
Life is too precious, do not destroy it.
Life is life, fight for it.”

As I get ready to embark on this amazing journey, I will keep this quote in the back of my mind. I will try to live by this quote as I spend my time in India and when I come back and I encourage anyone who is interested to give it a try. 

Adios for now,

Carlos Sian

No comments:

Post a Comment