Thursday, May 17, 2012

Abundance.

It is so cliche - but I truly cannot believe how the time has flown to get us to the night before we leave for India. I remember vividly my 22nd birthday, opening my mailbox to the letter that said I would take flight across the globe on May 18th, which as my group knows would be my beloved Nana's 81st birthday - a great sign in my book.


We're a busy group, and we've been busy with our own lives as well as planning for this adventure. On Monday six of our group members graduated - five undergrad seniors (all with new Bachelors of Arts degrees) and one graduate student, Alicia, who graduated with a masters in TESOL. Emotions, at least for me, have been running wild since our senior weekend began a week ago. So many doors and windows flying open and slamming shut (gently) all at the same time have left me with a lot of thoughts in my head and as Allison notes, a lot of anticipation for what's to come.


I've already been thinking (too much, probably) about the circumstances that allow the kinds of conditions that we're going to to exist. With the Arab Spring last year and the release of Kony 2012 this spring, the uncomfortable face of injustice and the seeming impossibility of overcoming and reversing any of these conditions weigh heavily on my mind. I know Kolkata will bring more of this frustration and confusion at the unknown and apparently insurmountable obstacles, but I'm hoping it also helps me to look at it all and my own world with a new perspective.


Abundance is a word that is coming into my life from all angles recently and packing my bags for Kolkata is no exception. I have an abundance of medical supplies, clean tee shirts and underwear and fruit snacks for the little kids I'll hopefully be working with. I have an abundance of support and love from my friends, family and Saint Mike's family worldwide. As a college graduate, I'm going off with a bit a confidence that I'm filled with what I hope is an abundance of sensitivity, compassion and curiosity. I've already had abundant love and opportunity poured onto me throughout my life and this experience I'm sure will be no exception. I'm so grateful to be getting on a plane tomorrow and I'm overwhelmed with excitement to see what's in store for us.


It is not how much we do,
but how much love we put in the doing.
It is not how much we give,
but how much love we put in the giving.
- Mother Teresa


Namaste & love,
Sunny

1 comment:

  1. AHHH I'm SO excited for all of you!! Can't wait to read about your adventures!!! Take it all in try to keep a positive outlook... I'm sure you all will! Sending you all warm thoughts!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete